Walking safaris are an exhilarating way of discovering nature but are also highly educational, as expert guides give you insight on the different fauna and flora that can be found on Lalibela. Guests who book a stay of 4 nights will enjoy a Big 5 Walking safari between Lentaba Lodge and Inzolo Lodge. The thickly wooded valley between Lentaba and Inzolo is rich in biodiversity and provides guests with a unique opportunity to experience the bush on foot. Guests will spend their first 3 nights at Lentaba Lodge and their 4th night will be spent at Inzolo Lodge.
Some more information about the walk and the programme:
- The walk will be conducted by a qualified, armed trails guide.
- Your walk leaves Lentaba Lodge on your 4th day shortly after first light. You will arrive at Inzolo around midday.
- Your luggage is transported to Inzolo Lodge, so you only need to carry a day pack for a camera, binoculars and water etc. We recommend that you pack sunscreen and a sturdy pair of comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots.
- Being in a thickly wooded valley, the walk is generally in shade so one is not exposed to the harsh sun too much.
- The walk tends to follow the least strenuous route however a moderate level of fitness and good health is a must, no children under the age of 16 and the elderly must have a clean bill of health.
- The walk will be between 4-6 hours long (approximately 4 – 6 kilometers) depending on the route taken.
- With loads of interesting little stops along the way, the route meanders through a mixture of valley forest and fynbos vegetation, allowing for spectacular views over Lalibela.
- Although the Big 5 do roam freely on the reserve, coming across them is spectacular but not common due to the fact that they tend to spend less time in the vegetation type that the valley is comprised of.
- The walk to Inzolo Lodge will allow you to immerse yourself into the natural world. On foot, you will experience the smaller, often overlooked wonders, such as birds, insects, plants, leopard scratchings and animal tracks.
- The staff at Inzolo set up a table in the valley and you will enjoy a late brunch (About 80% of the way so you only have a short walk after lunch to get to Inzolo).
- Later that afternoon, you will enjoy a unique sundowner experience overlooking Lalibela.
- This offer applies to guests staying at Lentaba Lodge (Luxury rooms) and Inzolo Lodge.
- Guests must book a 4 night stay.
- There is no additional charge.
- The walk is weather dependent.
- During your 4 night stay, you will experience a total of 6 game drives and one Big 5 Walking Safari.
Game drive and walking safari itinerary during your 4 night stay:
Day 1: Arrival at Lalibela – Enjoy your first game drive, the afternoon Game drive
Day 2: Morning & Afternoon Game Drive
Day 3: Morning & Afternoon Game Drive
Day 4: Depart from Lentaba Lodge on your walk to Inzolo Lodge. Enjoy a unique sundowner experience later that afternoon.
Day 5: Departure from Lalibela – Your last game drive on Lalibela – The morning game drive followed by checkout at 11h00
Are you interested in staying for 2 or 3 nights and still want to do a Big Five Walking Safari? Read more about our Standard Big Five Walking Safaris.